Monday 17 September 2012

Interview with Jolea Harrison

Happy Monday, everyone. Hope you all enjoyed the weekend. Now it's back to business, so we'll start things off with a fun chat. Today we're talking with author Jolea Harrison.

Welcome, Jolea! Tell us a bit about yourself.

I’ve been considered, for most of my life, as something of an oddball. I’m a total tech geek. Space. The Final Frontier. I went to Florida to watch the Space Shuttle launch. I love learning about new technology – not that I can keep up with it, but I fully embrace it, the smart phones, the touch-screen technology, devices that talk back to us when we ask it a question, and yet at the same time, I’m fairly certain I was a Hobbit in another life. Or an Ent.


How long have you been writing?

Forever. Okay, not quite that long, but since Middle School.

Tell us about THE GUARDIANS OF THE WORD series. What’s the story about, and what can we expect from the newest release in the series, UNION?

The series is one long story, a little over a million words by the end of it, about the struggles of good and decent people against primal evil. The characters are extraordinary because they have to be in order to succeed, but they have normal fears and desires. There are plots within where someone you think is good turns out to be rotten to the core. Twists and turns. It’s an epic journey. Union is the 5th book. The characters are thrown into more difficulties and make new discoveries about themselves and others traveling through space on a ship that just might not hold together.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

Originally, it was a love story. Boy meets girl, falls in love, marries and then lives happily ever after. It exploded in either direction from that central concept into an 8 book undertaking about all the big life issues we all have, love, loss and betrayal. It’s all in there.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

All of the above. I’m editing the next book, Adept, right now. It’s due out in October. Once I’ve got all the pieces put together – there’s a bit of rearranging going on at the moment – I’ll send it on to my fabulous beta readers, who do an incredible job of catching my silly mistakes.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

I never sat down and wrote an outline that defined the entire story. And I’m glad I didn’t because several situations have cropped up that are now integral parts of the plot that may not have happened had I attempted to plan too much. On the other hand, I’ve always known where the story would end.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Editing and checking for typos. It continually amazes me how the human brain can fix typos and misspelled words to the point you read right over them. Drives me nuts.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

I don’t have those kind of requirements at all. I can write pretty much anywhere. I’m sure I look like a lunatic staring off at nothing for lengthy moments, or whispering to myself over some detail or other. My son has caught me doing that too many times to count.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

I would wish to have the ability to heal pain and illness.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Myself. I find it exceptionally out-of-this-world-crazy to know I’m on page after page in a google search. If you told me a couple years ago that would be the case, I would not have believe it.

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: transcend, department store, and ridiculous.

When I think of a department store where the memories transcend the years, I think of the times my Aunt Ruth took me shopping at the ‘big’ mall where there once was an indoor aviary that I didn’t find at all ridiculous, but a magical and wondrous place.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ... 

trying to keep my 200-year-old house standing.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

There are too many to name. The obvious ones are my family and close friends. Several Indie writing communities I belong to have given me unconditional inspiration and encouragement. The coolest supporters I have are my readers. There is no feeling quite like the one where someone tells you that they love the story.

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

Linkage!

Thanks so much for chatting with us Jolea! I'll be sure to check out your series. 

3 comments:

Jolea M. Harrison said...

You have a beautiful website! Thanks for the interview. :)

Jolea

Dorothy Dreyer said...

Thanks, Jolea! Great having you here. :)

Darren Demers said...

Editing and checking for typos. It continually amazes me how the human brain can fix typos and misspelled words to the point you read right over them. Drives me nuts. pretty bed sheets , bed quilt cover , sateen sheet set , alkaram bridal bed sheets , slumberdown duvet , vicky razai price , green sofa cover , velvet comforter , single razai cover