Wednesday 22 August 2012

Interview with Ioana Visan

Today we're chatting with author Ioana Visan about her latest novella, HUMAN INSTINCTS.

Welcome, Ioana! Tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm a web designer, and I live in Iasi, Romania. Ever since I was a little kid I dreamed about reaching the stars, but since I can't, I write about it.

How long have you been writing?

I was just doing the math the other day and I realized I've been writing in English for ten whole years. I've been writing in Romanian for way longer than that.

Tell us about HUMAN INSTINCTS. What’s the story about?

Human Instincts is an apocalyptic novella. We find out from the start that there was a war and a virus and then a vaccine whose side effect was putting an end to humans' ability to evolve intellectually. The story focuses on Dr. Deanna Nichols efforts to get unaffected DNA samples from a group of dangerous criminals held in a prison inside the arctic desert. Without giving away too much of the plot, I can tell you there's a lot of tension and drama, but there's also hope.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

I wanted to write an apocalyptic story, but I didn't want it to focus on the causes or the technical side of the event. I was more interested in the solution of the problem and the way it psychologically affected the people involved.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

All of the above. My writing usually goes through four stages. First, I write the story and revise it once to get to the second draft. Then I let my friends read it for nitpicks on the plot and characterization. I fix the problems and then it's off to editors, people who don't know me and are not familiar with my writing. It works for me.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

A planner as in I know from the start how a story begins and how it ends. Everything in between is the pantser's fault… mostly.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Waiting for editors to return their drafts.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

If it's winter, the cat so I can keep my hands warm. Otherwise, silence would be nice.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

From a selfish point of view, I think I'd choose teleportation. I like to travel, but I'm not so keen on the whole getting from one point to the next part.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Nothing weird comes to mind, but being a science fiction writer, I did google lots of technical terms and procedures.

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: cryptic, devastate, and kangaroo.

The kangaroo mob had devastated the crop field, leaving behind cryptic infinity signs.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

I'm grateful to everyone who ever read my stories and asked for more. My editors must have a place reserved in heaven already, I demand so! And my family who is amazing and deserves all the best things in the world.

And finally, where can people find you online?

All the information regarding my writing is available on my website. My blog is my personal playground and I'm also happy to connect with readers on Facebook and Twitter. Here are some links.


Human Instints is available through Amazon
Amazon:
And Smashwords:

Ioana, thanks so much for chatting with us today. It was great having you on the blog and learning about your book!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview, Ioana and Dorothy. Ioana, I think I'd like the superpower of teleportation, too. Traveling is such a hassle. :)

Ioana Visan said...

Linda, teleportation would be good especially this weekend when I'm about to spend two days in the car just to start my vacation. :)

Dorothy, thank you for interviewing me.

Dorothy Dreyer said...

You're welcome, Ioana! :)