Thursday 5 July 2012

Interview with Amy Gregory

Today we're chatting with author Amy Gregory about her recent release, RACING TO LOVE.

Welcome, Amy! Tell us a bit about yourself.

I am happily married with three extremely busy kids.  When I’m not playing chauffer, chef or referee, I love to write as much as possible and read in what spare time is left!  We spend a lot of time at the tracks with our racer and running here there and yonder around the country with our tumbler.  Add in the middle child and we’re just never home!  Thank goodness for laptops and wi-fi!

How long have you been writing?


To be quite honest, I hadn’t written since high school.  This sounds crazy, but this story came to me in a dream.  I started writing it down and here we are a little over a year later with the first book of the series in print.  It’s been a dream come true—literally!

Tell us about RACING TO LOVE. What's the story about?


Motocross is dear to my heart, I love the sport, plus we live it.  The first two books in the Racing to Love series are set on the pro circuit.  Fictional by all means, but the backdrop is very real.  Molly is a retired racer that has been brought in for the remainder of the season to perform before the races for crowd entertainment.  Carter has been dedicated to winning his whole life, but the sacrifice is his personal life, which at twenty-eight is starting to get lonely.  He wants more out of life.  She has a past that has left her scared of almost everyone.  Their attraction is immediate and very mutual.  For some reason she can’t explain, Molly feels safe around Carter.  For some reason Carter feels the automatic need to protect Molly.  Both are right.

How did the idea of the story come to you?


Truly it came to me in a recurring dream that just wouldn’t let go.  After about the fourth night, I woke and started writing it out by hand.  I then spent a handful of days typing it, adding here and there.  The next thing I knew, I had a full length novel, and the start of the second book, Jesse’s Soul in what became the series, Racing to Love. When all was said and done, I had Eli’s Honor in my head along with the fourth book which introduces Alex and wraps the series up.

Are you a planner or a pantser?


Oh my gosh!  A total panster!!!  I tried to organize myself on the front end of writing Eli’s Honor.  Then I was blank.  I had a few events that I wanted to happen and no clue as to how to make it all link and work.  So, after two days of frustration I threw all of that out and went back to what works for me.  I sat down, my notebook by my side with character details and started typing.  I don’t know what is really going to happen from chapter to chapter.  It all just flows into each other.  Once I started doing it “my way”, it all just fell together.  I had Eli’s Honor written, edited and submitted in less than three months.

Wow, that's fast. What’s the hardest part of writing for you?


I have a horrible time writing if it isn’t completely quiet.  Things just won’t come to me.  Needless-to-say with school out, I’m not nearly as productive.  I get up very early before my house wakes up, but then it’s over until the next early morning.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?


I have to have my coffee first thing, and I really don’t even drink that much, it’s just part of it.  I also carry a notebook that I jot down bits of dialogue that come to me that I might use later, or ideas of events.  But I also keep track of all my character detail so I can refer back to it instead of flipping through page after page.  So really I can write about anywhere that has an electrical outlet.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?


Isn’t there one that makes you like super speedy?  That would be great, then I could have my house cleaned and laundry done at all times, even when I spend eight to ten hours typing.  Then I wouldn’t come out of my office and freak out and start feeling totally guilty!

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?


Not really weird, but baby names. Coming up with character names is really hard for me.  I try not to use names of people I know, especially since my leads are um…well there is quite a bit of spice there!

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: celebrity, hamper, and orientation.


I was not about to let that gorgeous, blue-eyed celebrity hamper the orientation I was trying so hard to give, even if my mouth was suddenly dry and my mind was blank.

Well done! Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.


I have to always thank my husband and kids for their support.  As well as Amy and Katie from Sapphire Star Publishing for giving me a chance and helping me make my dreams come true.  I wouldn’t be here without them.  I also want to thank all the friends, fellow authors and bloggers I’ve met along the way.  Their support and encouragement has been immeasurable.

And finally, where can people find you and your book online?

Amazon:  http://amzn.to/Mbx6I9
Barnes & Noble:  http://amzn.to/MCEtD2
www.sapphirestarpublishing.com/ssp/amygregory/
www.amygregory548.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/amygregory548
www.facebook.com/amygregoryauthor548
www.pintrest.com/amygregory548/
GoodReads:  http://bit.ly/LJEEgT


Thanks so much for chatting with us today, Amy. I wish you tons of success with your books.

1 comment:

Sutton Fox said...

Finally! I'd love to read a story with a motocross setting. Very cool.

Thanks for a great interview, ladies. :)